This planning application went to the Development Committee on 22nd August (details here) and it was decided by members to refer the plans to the Government Office for West Midlands with the recommendation that the Council would be minded to grant Listed Building Consent (the Council cannot make decisions about their own property; the PDC is a Council building).
The rumours have been floating about for a while now but as local residents we seem to be the last to know. Apart from the solitary notice at the entrance to the Professional Development Centre (PDC) English Street we may never have known. Nothing has been spotted on Ropery Street.
The proposal in PA/12/01671 is to to convert two of the three buildings currently forming part of the PDC back into full time educational use as a primary school to be run and managed in confederation with the Bonner Primary School in Bethnal Green. The plan is to have a two form entry Nursery and Primary School. The entrances on Ropery Street and Southern Grove will be opened up for pupils with the English Street gate used only for deliveries and staff.
Building A consisting of a Grade Two Listed late Victorian three storey block originally designed and built as a primary school and
Building B consisting of a Grade Two Listed smaller mid Victorian single story block again originally designed and built as a school.
Phase One of the proposed works – the completion of a two class nursery to be accommodated within Building B is to be completed by January 2013 with Phases Two and Three – the phased conversion of Building A to accommodate the remainder of the two formed entry primary school to be completed by July 2014. Work will be done by Bouygues who are currently building the new Beatrice Tate School on Southern Grove.
The current PDC was originally built as a school for the Schools Board for London and consists of two former schools building phases. Building B was built in 1874 and designed by ER Robson and the second- its replacement- Building A was built in 1904 and designed by TJ Bailey and is comprised of a central hall on each level off which most classrooms are accessed with mezzanine levels for staff and headteachers.
The school was known as South Grove School named after the street that runs alongside the eastern side
Click arrow above for slide show