The Meeting is an opportunity for us all to look back at what has happened in the last year, to identify and listen to your concerns and to prepare for next year.
The agenda covers
- Keynote speakers
- Metropolitan Police & the Mile End East Safer Neighbourhoods Team – Sergeant Mick Redmond
- Tower Hamlets Federation of Tenants and Residents Associations
- East London Community Land Trust – Dave Smith
- Minutes of the last Meeting: Here are the minutes of last year’s AGM – held at the Broke/Boheme night club 17 February 2011
- Reports from MERA officers on what has MERA worked on and achieved. This includes updates about what has happened in the area in the last 12 months.
- Reports from MERA Area Reps
- Elections of MERA Officers: Nomination form for officers, reps and committee members is here.
- For officer posts there’s a deadline: Friday 2 March.
- For other posts just print, fill in and bring along to the meeting.
- Residents Concerns – your chance to say what’s bugging you!
Sgt Mick Redmond from the local Safer Mile End East Safer Neighbourhoods Team will be talking to the AGM about anti-social behaviour in the area, what can they and we do about it. Main phone number: 020 8721 2848 or Contact SNT by Email
Tower Hamlets Federation of Tenants and Residents Associations
The Tower Hamlets Federation of Tenants and Residents Association has been around for about 3 years. During that time it’s become a very active residents organisation. Representatives of various Tenant and Residents Associations within the Borough, as well as interested individuals, meet monthly.
Check them out the THFED website and blog if you want to see what they do prior to the AGM.
Some of their current activities include:
- developing a Residents Charter and presenting it to all Councillors for endorsement. See details here and pictures of the councillors who have already signed.
- Organising a workshop held at the Tabernacle on Neighbourhood Planning / The Localism Bill.
What MERA covers
MERA’s activities include:
- emphasising quality of life issues relating to Mile End Residents
- scrutiny of all regeneration and development in Mile End and affecting Mile End – in particular matters relating to planning and licensing
- scrutiny of anything/everything which affects the look and wellbeing and safety of the place we live in: social housing performance, waste management, local green/open spaces, health and safety issues associated with street and traffic management and crime reduction issues and initiatives associated with safe neighbourhoods.
- campaigning on all matters which have an adverse impact on the safety and residential amenity of our neighbourhood in Mile End.
- promoting the positive aspects of and activities within Mile End eg community events for people living in our area.
You can keep updated about MERA activities on the MERA WEBSITE