The Cemetery opened in 1841 by an Act of Parliament and is one of London’s Magnificent Seven Cemeteries. The Cemetery closed to burials in 1966. It became Tower Hamlets first Local Nature Reserve in 2001. Near-by land was added in the mid-nineties, known as “Scrapyard Meadow” and Ackroyd Drive Green Link. Today it is 33 acres of “managed” mature, broadleaved woodland and meadow. It is also a educational resource to 7000+ school children every academic year who use the Park as an outdoor classroom.
The Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park was set up in 1990. We have a Constitution whose main objectives are to encourage greater use of this inner urban green space as a sanctuary for people, a place of biodiversity, while protecting and preserving the historic content.
Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park is owned by the London Borough of Tower Hamlets (LBTH). The ‘Friends’ manage the Cemetery Park via a Service Level Agreement with LBTH Parks. They are responsible for the daily maintenance and litter duties for the Park, much of this work is carried out by volunteers through our practical conservation events.